Do you remember what you wanted to be when you grew up? A police officer, fireman, or maybe even a doctor. These were the choices most of my friends came up with, when asked by an adult.
I always thought I was going to be a cop. My Dad was a police officer and I grew around the profession. Naturally, most of my Dad’s friends were police officers as well. I admired and respected them.
Fast forward 30 plus years and I never imagined as a small child, growing up I’d be in the sales profession. What a vast difference from what I thought I was going to do with my life. Don’t get me wrong. I have no regrets about my now, chosen career. In fact, just the opposite. I’m so happy I fell into sales.
If you’re are contemplating getting into sales, I highly recommend it. For me, it has been an exciting and rewarding experiencing. I cannot promise you that you’ll love it like I have, but if you truly want to take control of your career, then sales may be the right choice for you.
A highly respected and friendly sales professional can make a lot of money in sales. Like any other endeavor you take on in life, you have to be willing to put in the work and dedicate yourself to continued personal development. You have to want ‘it’ more than the next guy.
I’ve compiled a list of the Top 5 reason to make ‘Sales’ a Career.
1. YOU can make a lot of money at sales! You just have to be willing to dedicate yourself to learning the skills needed to succeed and commit to becoming a lifelong learner of the profession. You set your own goals and determine how much money you want to make.
2. YOU can help people get what they want. There is a quote from Zig Ziglar that says, “You can have everything you want in life if you just help enough other people get what they want.” And to me there is nothing more satisfying then helping people get want they want, desire and need.
3. YOU can dictate your time and keep flexible hours. Once you get your sales career off of the ground, you will start to have the ability to set your own hours that work best for you. This is especially true if you’re in outside sales and have the ability to be mobile.
4. YOU can sell a variety of different services and products. You won’t get bored. And if you do, you can start selling something that you’re passionate about. Good selling skills will always be transferable to most industries.
5. It’s a Stable Career. There will always be a need for sales professionals. In fact, when revenues slow down for most companies, they often increase their sales departments. You’ll always be able to find a sales job.
Bob Theriot is the author of the book ‘Pounding The Pavement’ – Tools, Techniques and Inspiration for Succeeding in Sales. He is also a Gitomer Certified Advisor, which authorizes him to sell and deliver Jeffrey Gitomer’s body of work both online and in the classroom. Bob was trained personally by Jeffrey Gitomer. To hire Bob to conduct a workshop or training session for you or your staff or for more information, tips and advice from Bob email: Bob@BobTheriot.com. You can also visit his website at http://www.BobTheriot.com